Waitipu caves

part 2

by the lighthouse
(walking down the beach reminded me
of a Tim Molloy cartoon
expecting to stumble upon
an unpronounceable skull
any minute now)

I am poles apart
from the tropical red
and glacier blue


scribbled
stretched
between flat colours
some days ago
someone returned
some books I lost
I lost some books
again
I was amazed
rare items they were
Mark Youngs betabet
(a library copy)
a couple of C.CHen articles on Pain
some typed poems
Bradbury's Farenheit 451
some Miller book which title I can't remember as I'd just bought it in a rush at some book stall at the markets
and a print of Micromegas by Voltaire
classic dystopia brims in the horizon
so precious
i had the code in there somewhere
but I forsake it
for a second time
in some computer lab of all places
tomorrow
i will surely blame society
a red tulip
and the sunrise
and its theiving hands
unless someone finds them again
two walkers in black
dancing, stretching and contracting
along the dunes
a couple in matching trek suits
pass through
entwined and strolling
eyes floating, resting on nothing
focus my earthly eyes
scrambled but tending to tangles
they share a smile
then
we share a smile
pleasant greetings
skipping
like a flat stone
between waves
their shadows trail away
the light smiles at my sun
the earth at my passing
the moon at my fire
three
of
two
that's a good
number